Region Hosted by Dayton Alumni Team Red Scare Features Jimmer Fredette and Four Additional Alumni Teams
DAYTON, June 22, 2022 – The Basketball Tournament (TBT) – the $1 million, winner-take-all summer basketball event broadcast live on ESPN networks – today announced the bracket for this year’s tournament.
Red Scare, the Dayton alumni team, will serve as the featured team for one of eight regionals, and welcome seven teams that will compete for the chance to advance. The games, which will take place July 24-27, will be played at UD Arena, on the campus of the University of Dayton.
Red Scare, the third seed in the Dayton Regional, are once again organized by former walk-ons Joey Gruden and Jeremiah Bonsu. Gruden will serve as the team’s head coach for the fourth straight summer. Red Scare’s current roster includes:
- Vee Sanford (2012-14)
- Jordan Sibert (2013-15)
- Scoochie Smith (2013-17)
- Darrell Davis (2014-18)
- Josh Cunningham (2015-19)
- Ryan Mikesell (2015-20)
- Trey Landers (2016-20)
- Joe Thomasson (Wright State)
- Kosta Koufos (Ohio State)
- CJ Walker (Ohio State)
The rest of the region includes:
- #1 seed The Money Team: A 2021 TBT Quarterfinalist representing the brand of famous boxer Floyd Mayweather, the roster is highlighted by legendary BYU guard and 10th overall pick in the 2011 NBA Draft Jimmer Fredette, as well as former eight-year NBA veteran Trevor Booker.
- #2 seed Golden Eagles (Marquette alumni): The 2020 TBT champions and one of the winningest franchises in TBT history, the Marquette alumni added former NBA players Deonte Burton, Darius Johnson-Odom, and Milwaukee native Diamond Stone to their already championship caliber core.
- #4 seed Men of Mackey (Purdue alumni): A three-time participant in TBT, the Purdue alumni team is highlighted by Boilermaker legend Robbie Hummel.
- #5 seed Mid-American Unity: A MAC alumni team with several players from Ohio-area schools. Red Scare previously defeated them in 2019 on a Devin Oliver tip-dunk.
- #6 seed CitiTeam: An original from TBT’s first-ever tournament in 2014, CitiTeam returns to TBT this summer featuring former McDonald’s All-American and NBA player Josh Selby.
- #7 seed Ohio 1804 (Ohio alumni): A second-year TBT participant representing the Ohio University Bobcats.
- #8 seed Athletics Miami: A Miami-based team that secured its spot in the Dayton Regional via buy-in.
The #3 seed Red Scare will take on the #6 seed CitiTeam in the team’s first-round game on Sunday, July 24 at 3 pm ET. If Red Scare advances to the second round, they will face the winner of the #2 seed Golden Eagles and #7 seed Ohio 1804 on Tuesday, July 24 at 9 pm ET. The Dayton Regional championship game will be Wednesday, July 27 at 8 pm ET.
Dayton will also host TBT’s Championship Week for the second straight year. Quarterfinals games will be on July 28-29, the semifinals on July 30, and the $1 million winner-take-all championship game on Aug. 2.
Full schedule below:
G1 – Sunday, July 24 – 1 pm ET – (1) the Money Team vs. (8) Athletics Miami
G2 – Sunday, July 24 – 3 pm ET – (3) Red Scare (Dayton) vs. (6) CitiTeam
G3 – Sunday, July 24 – 7 pm ET – (4) Men of Mackey (Purdue) vs. (5) Mid-American Unity – Time Change
G4 – Sunday, July 24 – 9 pm ET – (2) Golden Eagles (Marquette) vs. (7) Ohio 1804 – Time Change
G5 – Tuesday, July 26 – 7 pm ET – The Money Team/Athletics Miami vs. Men of Mackey/Mid-American Unity
G6 – Tuesday, July 26 – 9 pm ET – Red Scare/CitiTeam vs. Golden Eagles/Ohio 1804
Dayton Regional Championship
G7 – Wednesday, July 27 – 8 pm ET – Winner of Game 5 vs. Game 6
TBT 2022 Championship Week
The TBT has announced schedule changes for the TBT Championship Week that will be held at the University of Dayton Arena July 28 to August 2. The changes were made to accommodate the TBT’s television partner, ESPN, and will not affect the TBT Regional at UD Arena July 24-27.
The revised championship schedule will be as follows:
Thursday, July 28
- Quarterfinal Game 1 @ 7:00 pm – Date Change
- 33 Point Contest @ 9:00 pm – Added
Friday, July 29
- Quarterfinal Game 2 @ 7:00 pm – Date and Time Change
- Quarterfinal Game 3 @ 9:00 pm –Date and Time Change
- Note: The fourth quarterfinal game will be played at the Wichita Regional.
Saturday, July 30
- Semifinal Game 1 @ 4:00 pm – Date and Time Change
- Semifinal Game 2 @ 6:00 pm – Date and Time Change
Tuesday, August 2
- Championship @ 8:00 pm – Time Change
In addition, due to venue seating configuration changes, the TBT announced that all tickets for each game of the Championship Week are $25 each.
Tickets are now on sale for the TBT games in Dayton. Regional All-Session Packages (3 days of basketball, 4 sessions, 7 games – July 24, 26 and 27) are in the regular price range of $60 in the upper Arena to a premium package of $300. Championship Week Packages (4 days of basketball, 4 sessions, 6 games – July 28-30, August 2) are as low as $70 to $300 for a premium package.
For more TBT ticket information, please visit daytonflyers.com/TBT or call the Arena Ticket Office at (937) 229-4433.
# # #